Monday, January 23, 2012
My Favorite Soup ~ Tomato, White Bean, Pasta
Who goes on a cleanse in the middle of snowy football season? Oh right, we did.
All is well though because this soup is about warming up after snowy adventures and couch slurping. It reminds me of my favorite macaroni and bean soup growing up - salty, creamy, and comforting.
Snowy Day Soup
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne pepper
1 28 oz. can tomatoes for a good cause
28 oz. vegetable stock
1 can white beans, rinsed
2 cups kale, chopped
1/3 lb. whole wheat chiocciole pasta (use your favorite GF pasta)
parmesean cheese (optional)
1. Coat the bottom of a soup pan with olive oil, stir in chopeed garlic and onion, let cook until the onion is translucent - 5 minutes
2. Add chopped carrots, herbs, cayenne, and salt - saute for 15 minutes
3. Add jar of tomatoes, stock, and kale
5. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes
6. While the soup is simmering, cook pasta until al dente
7. When the soup has reduced and is the thickness you like, add the pasta and beans, cook together for a few minutes to heat through
Taste and add salt and pepper
Serve in big bowls and top with a couple tablespoons of grated (or shaved with a vegetable peeler) parmesean cheese.
Pick out any pieces your baby would like or let your toddler dive in with a spoon. Dylan loved the beans and pasta.