But I guess while we still can let's eat pasta. If you need a special dinner idea for tomorrow night this is a good one. Easy, yummy, and perfect with red wine and chocolate dessert.
Orecchiette with Kale & Breadcrumbs
from Bon Appetit February 2013
1 lb Tuscan kale (about 2 large bunches), stems removed
5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
1 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs
3 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. orecchiette (little ear shaped pasta)
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook kale in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to a rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Set aside pot of water. Squeeze out excess liquid from kale; chop leaves; set aside.
2. Heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add one-third chopped garlic and cook, stirring often, until breadcrumbs are golden, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; let cool.
3. Heat butter and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add red pepper flakes, and remaining garlic. Cook about 2 minutes. Add reserved kale and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring often, until kale is warmed through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, bring reserved kale cooking liquid to a boil; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
5. Add pasta and 1/2 cup cooking liquid to kale mixture and stir to coat. Increase heat to medium and continue stirring until sauce coats pasta. Mix in Parmesan and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs; toss to combine. Divide pasta among bowls, drizzle with olive oil, and top with remaining bread crumbs.