We're all about trying new things here this week. For the first time in my life, complete with maternity swimsuit and lycra bathing cap, I swam laps at the pool. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow but because of this rainy and cold spring we haven't been dipping in the ocean as much as usual and my 6 month belly is craving some buoyancy. In related news, I also made my first olive oil based cake for my mom's birthday last weekend. I really liked the strong flavors and the simple moist cake. I will definitely bake it again.
In the meantime we've been sneaking in lots of outdoor time when the clouds part which usually involves visiting the new farm babies.
Sweet Peach Olive Oil Cake
from Food & Wine
3 ripe peaches, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and coat with vegetable oil spray.
2. In a bowl, toss the peaches with 1/4 cup of the olive oil, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the salt. Let stand until juicy, about 15 minutes.
3. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 1/4 cups of olive oil.
4. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Fold in the peaches and juices.
5. Scrape the batter into the pan; bake for 35 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then serve with whipped cream or ice cream.