Monday, August 5, 2013
Roasted Cherry Tomato, Corn & Cilantro Bread Pudding
Savory Bread Pudding with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Corn & Cilantro
from The Fresh & Green Table
2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
1 loaf Challah cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, cut crosswise into thin slices
8 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
roasted cherry tomatoes (recipes below)
1 cup fresh sweet corn
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup coarsely grated monterey jack cheese
1 cup coarsely grated aged cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 375. Position a rack in the center of the oven. Rub a 13 x 9 baking dish with a little butter.
2. Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 8 - 10 minutes. Let the bread cool for a few minutes on the sheet and then transfer them to a large bowl.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the 2 tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Scrape and drizzle the butter mixture over the bread cubes, stirring as you drizzle, and toss well. Sprinkle the bread cubes with a little salt and toss again.
4. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until the onion is limp and browned about 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, lime zest, cumin, coriander, and 3/4 tsp salt until well combined.
6. Arrange half the bread cubes in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the cherry tomatoes, half of the onion, half of the corn, half of the cilantro, half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining bread, veggies, and cheese. Pour the egg mixture evenly over everything. Using your hands, gently press down on the bread and veggies to force the custard to evenly surround everything. Let sit for about 20 minutes and gently press down again.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until the bread pudding has risen, is set and dry in the middle, and golden, about 40-45 minutes. Let settle for a few minutes and serve hot or very warm.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb ripe medium red cherry tomatoes, halved
Preheat the oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush the foil with some of the olive oil. Toss the cherry tomato halves with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and spread in a single layer. Roast tomatoes until they are browned around the edges and slightly puckered, about 25 minutes.