I used to be a lot more fun. Lately I've been feeling really badly that I can't do the things with Dylan that we used to do. I'd love to be out sledding more, pond skating, taking the ferry for day long adventures off island. I am forced to say "one sec" a lot more. I miss spending hours alone with him. I know things will change and there will be a time we can have an afternoon or even a weekend just the two of us but right now that feels far off. I love being the mom to these little guys but man it's hard sometimes too.
A kind friend dropped by some delicious farro soup a while back and we all loved it - here is my version of.
Creamy Farro Soup
1 large onion
2 carrots1 celery rib
2 garlic cloves
8 cups chicken stock (sub vegetable if you'd like)
2 cans white cannellini beans
1 cup farro
2 teaspoons salt
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 lemon, sliced into wedges
1. Pulse onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. Heat oil in a heavy soup pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook vegetables stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in 4 cups stock and 1 can drained beans. Scrap all the brown bits off the bottom. Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the pot.
4. Add remaining stock, salt, pepper, and thyme bundle. Bring to a boil, add farro, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
5. Once farro is tender, add final drained beans to heat through, taste for seasoning, and remove thyme sprigs. Add some water if the soup looks too thick. If the soup sits for next day leftovers it will thicken up so add additional water when reheating. Serve with lemon wedges and an extra drizzle of olive oil.